life in garage, in america

weaving through after-work-traffic on 101, i was getting really annoyed and worried. it looked like i was going to be late for my meeting. i was on my way to meet a child who currently lives with a life threatening disease. i was meeting her to find out what her wish was. i'm a wish grantor (how cool is that title, sounds like i'm a fairy godmother, i'd just pull things out of my hat XD), i grant wishes.


i got off the freeway, and was finding my way to this 14 year old girl's house. as i entered the neighborhood, i noticed that there were cars parked everywhere along the sidewalks. i could barely find a spot to park. (don't ppl have garages to park their cars? -_-) i drove up to the house, and saw another car just pulled up onto the driveway. i thought, awesome, my co-wish grantor just got here, i guess i'm not that late. it turned out that the car belongs to the lady who lives in the house. and i WAS late. >_<

i walked around the house, and found the side door which was an entrance to the garage. my revelation: here are two families living in this house, one in the house, one in the garage. NO, in this neighborhood, people do NOT use garages to park cars! i felt like the top of my head just got knocked on by a huge hammer. the garage was remodeled to include a bathroom and a "kitchen". the stove and the dining table were facing directly to the family bed. i said hi to everyone while putting on a huge smile (although i'm not sure if it looked like i was smiling or crying). i was not paying attention to the rest of the conversation, since it was all in spanish; i was too busy looking at everyone in this warm and loving family. i was trying to figure out what they were saying from the expressions on their faces. i was glad that my co-wish grantor spoke spanish. all i knew was alejandra's wish was to have a laptop. a laptop will make her happy!

i was dazing off.  what would make me happy?  what would be my wish at this moment?  at this very moment, there's nothing i want more in this world than the group that i interviewed with tells me "you are hired".

i was on my way heading home. an hour ago, i was annoyed by the traffic on 101. an hour later, the same bumper to bumper traffic did not at all bother me. it seemed too trivial.

0 comments: